Saturday, October 20, 2012

Tokyo: Imperial Palace Gardens

This was my first trip in to Tokyo.  I was aiming to go to Tokyo station, and I made it there after a minor train mishap where I got on the wrong line.  I was able to back track and sort it out, and eventually made it!  The first order of business when I got there was to get something to eat - I ate at a little rice bowl restaurant inside the station. I forgot to take a picture of my food, but it was delicious! 

This is the outside of Tokyo station; it is very beautiful.  There were a lot of people taking pictures of both the outside and inside.  I think that it was recently renovated.




 The imperial palace gardens weren't far from the station, and as I began walking there I had to cross a moat.  In historic times, this is where Edo castle stood, and it is the heart of Tokyo.



 I liked this contrast of old vs. new with the skyscrapers in the background.



 There were so many trees in this part of the grounds, it was amazing to think I was in the center of one of the world's largest cities!



 I liked this sign.  I think it is supposed to mean no jogging/running in this area, but to me at first glance it looked like the people were taking off with jetpacks.  (And this is what happens when I travel alone!)



 A pretty bridge over the moat.



 The fence around the moat had a very intricate design.  I wonder how old it is...



 
 Looking back towards the skyscrapers.  The area around the Imperial Palace has a lot of financial businesses, I think.


 This is the bridge that leads into the Imperial Palace.  The actual palace grounds are open to visitors only 2 days a year: January 2nd and December 23rd (the Emperor's birthday).



 Another interesting building - I'm not sure what it is!



 Going this way leads to the east gardens.



The signs in this area told me that there has been a lot of work done to stabilize this large stone blocks.  It is hard to tell from this picture, but each block is about 4-5 feet tall!



 A pretty path in the east gardens.  This lead to a beautiful spot!



 My first view of the east gardens.



 It was a little rainy this day, but everything looked so green and lush!



 I found a nice little waterfall, there were some stairs you could take to go up to the top of it as well.



 On the way back to Tokyo station I came across a fountain park.  It was super cool!



 I liked this "clam" fountain the best!



 My time in the gardens was cut short because they were closing, so I didn't get to see them all.  I will be going back next weekend, so hopefully the weather will be better and I can see the rest of the gardens!

No comments:

Post a Comment