Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Plane Ride and My First Night in Yokohama

The trip from Boston to Toronto to Tokyo went well!  I have a few pictures from the plane, I am forever spoiled after being able to lay down on an airplane.  I didn't manage to sleep that much, but I sure was comfy!   There are also a few pictures from my first night in Yokohama.  Enjoy!


This was my view sitting in my seat.  The gray square to the right is a fold-open TV screen.  I watched 500 Days of Summer, another movie I can't remember, a documentary about nighttime, an episode of Survivor man and a Frontline episode.


Obligatory plane self portrait.  The window was at an awkward angle to look out during takeoff and landing, but I managed to turn around enough to see ok.  We flew over Alaska and Russia.  At one point I opened my window to see arctic tundra - snowy mountains, ravines and some rivers.


 Here is a view of one of the seats - it folds all the way down into a bed.  This seat across from me never got taken, so I was pretty much all alone in the front of this section of the plane.


 Coming down the elevator towards baggage claim, this sign welcomed me to Japan!  Sorry it is blurry, I was on a moving escalator, after all! 


 This is the Narita Express train that I took from the airport to Yokohama station.  Once the train pulled into the station, the workers went through and turned all of the seats around to face the opposite direction; way easier than turning the train around!


 About to get on the train.  It was about a 90 minute trip from Narita airport to Yokohama station.  I had a really hard time staying awake on the train.  Only the fear that I would miss my stop kept me from really falling asleep.  You only get about 1 minute to get off the train before it departs, and these trains are very punctual!


 Here is my ticket for the train - I bought it all by myself!  You can see it left at 5:44 pm and arrived at 7:18 pm.  And it was perfectly on time!


 I stayed at the Yokohama Bay Sheraton Towers.  I took a few pictures from my window on the 14th floor.  The street below was super busy.


 That line of cars is taxis lined up outside the train station.  I have never seen such a busy train station!

That was about it for my first day!  After I got to the hotel I was so tired I went straight to bed without any dinner!  Hopefully tomorrow I will give an update on the dorm and have a few pictures, but maybe I should unpack some first!

No comments:

Post a Comment