Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hakone: Day 1

A few weekends ago I went to Hakone, which is only a couple of hours away, to see the sights and get a last chance at onsen before I leave Japan.

One of the attractions of Hakone is the many types of transport that are available.  First a train that winds its way up a mountain with lots of switchbacks, then a cable car - literally a train car that is pulled up a hill by a cable!



I took the cable car to the last stop, Souzan.  Normally from there a ropeway goes to Owakudani, but it was closed for repair.  There was a replacement bus, but the line was so long, so I decided to take the hiking trail instead.  It was quite warm outside, but as I hiked up I found a lot of snow on the path!  



 But, it was worth it for the views of Fuji-san I got along the way!



 Here is the steaming hillside of Owakudani.



To reward myself for the hike I got an egg ice cream.  It didn't really taste like eggs - more like custard.



 At Owakudani they boil eggs in the sulfurous water at high altitude.  They transport the eggs up and down with a tiny egg ropeway!  So cute!



Here I am at Owakudani!



 After seeing Owakudani I took the next ropeway down to lake Ashi.  This ropeway was very efficient with many cars!



 At Lake Ashi there are many sightseeing boats decorated as pirate ships that take you across the lake.



Here is the view from the top deck of the ship.  It was a little cold to ride outside the whole time!


 This was my ship at the first stop, at Hakone-Machi.  Pirate ship, Lake Ashi and Fuji-san - what more could I ask for in a picture?



I walked from Hakone-Machi to Moto-Hakone on the Ancient Cedar Avenue.  It was a really nice walk.



 Moto-Hakone had a huge torii gate over the road!  I love it!



 Lots of people were gathered at the shore of the lake.



A nearby shrine had a huge floating torii.



 The shrine was really pretty with lanterns lit up and giant trees all around.



 The shrine also had one of the scariest dragon fountains I have seen yet!


After visiting the shrine I went to my ryokan, which had an amazing hot spring bath to soak in.  After all the walking I did, I really needed it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment