Monday, November 12, 2012

Kamakura, Hiking and Daibutsu

For a little while now, I've felt the need to be in nature - everything is so busy here and there are so many people that it can get a little overwhelming.  So, I decided to go on a little hike and see some temples in Kamakura.

On the train, I realized that I had forgotten my map - but no worries, I took a picture of the map outside Kitakamakura station, and it helped me on my way.


My first stop was at Engaku-ji temple.  It was a very large temple complex very close to the station.  It was pretty busy there.



 The leaves are just starting to turn here - I think it will be a few more weeks before they really go.  Fall leaves are called koyo in Japan.



This is just so picturesque!


There were a lot of small statues that people gave small offerings too.  I've finally figured out what everyone does with the ridiculous amount of 1 yen coins they accumulate.  I have been carrying around too many, so I left some here too :)



At the top of the hill was this bell - I forget exactly what it was for, but it was listed as a national historic treasure.



After the temple I set off to find the hiking trail - luckily for me, there were some pretty good signs to point me in the right direction.  



 The path started off paved and went by another temple area.  I didn't stop here, it was much smaller.



 Now we're getting into the good stuff!  I'm glad I wore my hiking boots.  This area was pretty empty, I only came across a few other people, including a small group of trail runners.



 About halfway down the trail there was a little park with a stand that sold snacks, and then a statue further on into the park.  Again, not quite sure what this was about, but there were quite a few people looking at it.



 Back on the trail, I got a nice view of Kamakura and the sea.



 Holy bamboo forest batman!



 I made it the Daibutsu, the big Buddha!  And I finally got brave enough to ask someone to take my picture.



 The Buddha gets gifts of food, flowers and water.  And some birds sitting on his head.



 For an extra 20 yen I got to go inside the Buddha!



 It was pretty cramped in there, but it was cool to see how the plates of metal were put together to make the bigger structure.  This is his chest area.



 There is his head!



 Here is a sign with some Daibutsu facts.  I thought they were pretty interesting (click to make it bigger so you can read them!)



 After seeing Daibutsu, I took the Enoden railway to Kamakura station and walked down the shopping street, Komachi.  I bought a few Christmas presents and had some lunch - oyakodon, my favorite!


I was going to do another hiking trail after lunch but it started to pour rain and got pretty cold, so I called it a day and headed back to the dorm.  I will try out the Ten-en hiking course another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment