Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hida-Takayama: Hida-no-Sato

Hida-no-Sato is a folk village with traditional houses of the Hida area.  It tells a good story about how people used to survive in this snowy mountain area before modern conveniences.  Also, it was extremely beautiful with the changing leaves!  The village was a 10 minute bus ride from the Takayama bus center - I was able to buy a combination bus/entrance ticket there!

The view upon first walking in to the village; I was blown away!





Lots of carp lived in the lake, and you better believe that I fed them one of these giant bread sticks.  The ducks tried to eat most of it, actually.  Big bullies.



I think I came here at the right time of year!



 There were small diverted streams all over the village like this.  Most of them had a purpose of some sort.  One filled a bowl on the end of a log and when it filled up and dumped out the other end of the log slapped back down and made a loud noise, to scare off wild boars!



 There weren't many people around, so I had to prop my camera on a sign for this picture.  I really do like a gate!



 I couldn't believe how thick the straw was on this roof!  No wonder it could survive the harsh winters.



 Here is a waterwheel on the pond - it moved an arm inside that ground rice into rice flour.



 The inside of the biggest house, it had a shingle type roof.  There were a few fire-pit areas, but I can't imagine how cold it would have gotten in here!



 I got to ring this bell!  That is something I want to do every time I see one of these, but usually you're not allowed to!  It was awesome!



 The view looking down on the village, after this it was time to head back and make my way home.  This was a great way to end my time in Takayama!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment