Thursday, November 22, 2012

Hida Takayama - Day 2

Day 2 in Takayama started off with better weather.  It was actually sunny a few times during the day!  The rest of the time it just drizzled!

I got an early start in the morning and I walked around the town getting some much better pictures than I did the day before in the rain!  I love all of the bridges in this town, they are so pretty!



 Another bridge over the river... this might be a theme of the day!



 I found the morning market.  It was an interesting mix of local foods and souvenirs   I didn't buy anything here, nothing really struck me as being spectacular, but it was interesting to see!



 Another orange bridge - this one is much smaller than the one above!



 This is hands-down my favorite picture from the whole weekend.  Look at the color of that tree!  Someone did a lot of work to have such a nice little front garden.



 After the morning market I headed for the Higashiyama walking course which passes by about a dozen temples.  (Higashi means east, and so this trail was on the east side of the town!)  It started with a long flight of stairs!



 The little path and all of the signs make it very easy to follow the trail!



 An old cemetery in the side of the hill.



 This area was really beautiful, and the colors were so vibrant.



 Peeking a look down at the town through the trees.  The end of the walking path went through a wooded area - I was definitely not wearing the right shoes for that, but it was still really pretty!



 This tree left a nice "shadow" of red leaves on the ground.  After this the path ended in a large park which led back into the town.



 I grabbed some lunch at a little noodle shop - it had about 8 stools on a counter.  In this way, it's not really that awkward to eat out alone in Japan!  I had noodle soup with a soft boiled egg - it was so good and warm, just what I needed!



 Here is some proof that the sun did come out a little bit that day!



 After lunch I went to the folk village Hida-no-Sato, but that was so interesting and I took so many pictures that it really deserves a post of it's own - I will write it up tomorrow!

On the bus ride home I managed to snap a few pictures of the snowy mountains on my phone before the sun set.


The twisty mountain roads were a little bit scary in a large bus, but luckily I didn't have to see any more once the sun went down!


No comments:

Post a Comment