Friday, March 8, 2013

Nikko Day 2

On my second day in Nikko I had a plan to go see the waterfall Kegon no Taki.  I woke up and decided to walk to the station to get my bus ticket.  A very light snow was falling, but the day was still pretty warm.

I got on the bus and it started to wind it's way up a mountain.  And the snow got heavier and heavier as we went.  Soon it was like a blizzard.  After I got on the bus I fought the wind and snow for a 5 minute walk to the waterfall.  This snow was not messing around!



 It was a pretty spectacular waterfall!  It was half frozen, but still pouring out an amazing amount of water.  There was an elevator you could take down through the cliffs to get level with the falls - it was a great view!  There were even a few other crazy people braving the storm.  I sat with most of them around a heater in the bus station later, waiting for the bus to take us back down to the town!



 The town near the waterfall is called Chuzenji-onsen.  I figured I would find an onsen there, and I could have a bath and warm up.  Unfortunately, the town seemed deserted!  I tried to walk around a little bit, but it was just too cold and windy.  I found the large lake that the town is centered around, and a nice big torii.  Then I turned around and went back to the bus station!  This is the first time I have completely bailed on sightseeing since I've been here, but it was just so miserable out that I didn't care!



 This was the road back down the mountain.  There were over 50 switchbacks on the road!  (There were signs numbering them - I didn't count!)  There are separate roads for up and down, thank goodness!



 Once I got back to Nikko the weather was great again!  I had some lunch - yubadon!  It was delicious!



After lunch I did a little shopping and then took the train back home.  I'm glad I went to Nikko, it was really interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment