Thursday, January 24, 2013

A week of dorm food

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to my Dad, and he was surprised to learn I had fish for breakfast!  So, I thought I would take pictures of the dorm food for a week to share what the meals are like here!  The week I documented we worked Tuesday - Saturday.

Tuesday morning starts with some eggs!  I don't know what the brown wedges are called (or what they are made of), but they are delicious and one of my favorite things!  Also, macaroni salad and rice.  Also offered was miso soup and natto.



 Tuesday night I have Japanese lessons and I forgot to take a picture of my dinner out, so we will have to skip to Wednesday morning!

Wednesday morning was tasty with salad, chicken and vegetables in a gravy-like sauce, sesame spinach (another favorite!), rice and miso soup.



 Wednesday night was interesting.  We had fried flatfish with an onion-y sauce, dumplings, half a potato croquette, spicy vegetables, rice and miso soup.  This flatfish is one of the more challenging foods to eat that I have encountered yet!



 Here is the aftermath of the flatfish - I'm still not sure if I ate as much as I left behind...



 Thursday morning brought A stir fry of pork and various vegetables (bean sprouts, carrots, cabbage, etc), salad, rice and miso soup.    A pretty healthy breakfast.




 Thursday night we had a cream stew with sausage, chicken, carrots, potatoes and some other veggies, salad with ham and boiled eggs and rice.  This was pretty tasty, and perfect for a cold night!



 Friday morning we had a "western style" breakfast.  A tuna sandwich, fried ham sandwich, apples, pasta salad, yogurt, a creamy soup and some juice.  I was a little sad that the sandwich roll with soba noodles didn't show up for a picture.  :)



 Friday night was delicious fried salmon, japanese omelet, japanese eggplant (which I like a lot more than the variety back home), some other veggies, an orange slice and rice and miso soup. This was good!



 Saturday morning was a very Japanese breakfast - salmon, spinach, those brown wedges again, salad, rice and miso soup.


 And finally for Saturday night we had something listed on the menu as "hash rice".  Basically meat and vegetables in a sauce with rice - it looked like curry but tasted different.  Also, pasta salad, vegetables and part of a hot dog and yogurt.


I hope this post gave everyone some ideas about the food in the dorm.  It's pretty good overall, and the man who cooks it does a good job!  He must be so busy buying and preparing all of this food!  Breakfast starts at 6:30 am, and dinner doesn't finish up until 10 pm.  A woman comes and helps with dinner around 8, but it is still a lot of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment